Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Irish always get what they want!

If you have been reading my posts lately, you will know that on Thanksgiving weekend I received a text from my husband's best friend that somewhat unnerved me. My husband calls his best friend every weekend, or at least he tries to anyway. On this particular weekend, I was told that he sounded more frustrated than he has ever sounded since being in TDC and that's saying a lot. He was in an enormous amount of pain and he had just returned from medical chain from Galveston hospital where he underwent an EMG. For those that don't know, an EMG is an electromyogram which is used to assess the function of nerves and muscles. It is by far not the most pleasant experience my husband has ever had and to hear him tell it, it is actually quite painful.

When he returned to his unit, he wasn't sent back to the cell he left on the first floor. Instead, he was assigned to the second floor and on a top bunk. For a man that has been put on movement restriction and is not allowed to stand for any lengthy period of time, is not allowed to lift anything over five pounds and is not allowed to have his arms over his head, it makes absolutely zero sense to me that he would be put on the second floor where he has to climb stairs several times a day and be put on a top bunk. If he isn’t supposed to lift more than five pounds, why would he then be expected to lift his 200 pound self up to a top bunk?

Well all my husband had to say to me was “do something please” and I did. I called the unit the very next day and was prepared to do battle for him just like always. I spoke to the practice manager who is, in actual fact, the facility health administrator. She was very nice and pleasant as was I, but I was prepared not to be if necessary. I told her who I was and what I wanted done and to my surprise she agreed to speak to my husband’s doctor that afternoon about having him moved back down to the first floor and to a bottom bunk. The doctor agreed and my husband was moved that night. So, while that may not seem like a big deal, I see it as a victory for my husband.

One thing you should know and that is when my husband or my children need my help, I will always be there for them even if it is from 3,000 miles away. My husband always says “I know how you like your fights” and he is right. I do like my fights but only when it is absolutely necessary and while I may not be able to do much for him, apart from writing to him every day and putting money on his books, I sure can raise a little hell if needed. I’m just glad, for TDC’s sake, it wasn’t absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment