Sunday, October 09, 2011

Well, it's been a few days since I've posted and considering I just received 3 letters from my husband today, I thought it would be a good day to write. It's always a great comfort to me when I get letters from my husband because then I know he's OK. As long as the mail runs, he's good so every day I hope and I pray that there's something in the mailbox for me from Texas. There are days when I am disappointed and then there are days, like today, when I can't get those letters opened fast enough to read what he's written.

My letters are my only connection to my husband and they are very precious to me. You know I have been talking to a lot of women in some of the support groups that I am a part of and they can't believe that the only communication I have with the love of my life is the mail. When talking about phone calls, one woman said to me: "WOW, five minutes every 90 days seems unreal & inhumane. I didn't know prisons had the right to do such a thing!!! My Lord, I had no clue that some of you don't get to talk or visit or hear from your husband's. I am praying for you all. Please inform me of any petitions you have going so I can support you. Hang in there Kimberley...God Bless".

That is only one of at least a dozen emails that I received tonight. These women all wanted to know if I had a petition and where it was and to my surprise they all signed it without hesitation. That kind of support right there you can only get from another prison wife or mother. Sure people say they understand but if you haven't been where I am, you really have no idea what it's like to be 3,000 miles away from the man you love and not be able to hear his voice and to worry every single day where he is and if he's alright. So, yes my letters are like gold to me.

The letters that I received today were from September 13, 17 and 26. You see how long things take sometimes to get to me? Most of the time, my husband just talks about his day and how he's feeling about things. And then there are times when he will talk about everything and anything. His hopes. His dreams. His plans for our family's future. I think it makes him feel alive to be making plans and to know that he is a part of something bigger than the prison that he is in. His body may be locked up 24/7 but his mind is free and his heart is free. He is loved unconditionally for the husband that he is to me and the father that he is to our children. He is a man who loves his family with everything he has and with everything he is and no prison can ever take that away from him.

3 comments: