Monday, October 10, 2011

What are you thankful for?

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada and I just put the turkey into the oven and I am preparing for another holiday without my husband and that is a very sobbering thought. We have now been apart for four Thanksgiving Days - two Canadian and two American and while I am reminded every day that my husband isn't here, the fact that it is a holiday makes no difference to me.

Whether it is Thanksgiving or Christmas or the third Thursday of November, he still isn't here. I am sure that a lot families of inmates feel more apart on holidays than any other day and that is probably because the focus is on it being a holiday and that being with your family is what you should be doing and a part of your family is missing and maybe has been for a while. 

While holidays are a time of reflection and a time for family, shouldn't we all be happy in knowing that even though we may not be together, we are a part of a family and that bond will always keep us together regardless of the date?

I want to share something with all of you that my husband sent to me. Even though he isn't a religious man, he is very spiritual and when he sends me quotes, I know that they have moved him.

"To the helper and protector of all children, the comfort of the solitary, and those who are separated from those they love, I ask you to give them a good gift for the body and for the soul, and to unite everyone, present and absent, in true faith and love."

So, while I am not thankful that my husband is in prison, I do thank God every single day for setting us both on a path that was destined to lead us to each other. When I look back on it, I realize that every choice we have made, good or bad has brought us to this life that we are building together and there is no greater gift than that.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tears! Crying is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne Hurst-Stephens10 October 2011 at 15:44

    That is a very true statement, no matter how near or far our loves are always in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am most thankful for the safe return of my Son, Randy, from the horrors of a Vietnamese prison~after 7.5 years!!! He is a survivor and an inspiration to everyone that is enduring incarceration!

    ReplyDelete