Thursday, October 27, 2011

My hero!

The week is nearly over which, for some, is a good thing and for the most part it is for me as well. It means that my husband is one week closer to coming home but with the weekend approaching it is also somewhat bittersweet because that means no mail. Mail in Canada only runs Monday to Friday.

I can't tell you how much getting letters from my husband means to me. It keeps me close to him. I think in some ways letters are better than phone calls. Sure calls are wonderful because I actually get to hear my husband's voice but our time is limited to five minutes. Letters give us both the luxury of time; time to think about each other completely and totally. It's an all encompassing feeling to just focus on each other for as long as it takes to say what needs to be said.

In a letter that I recently received from my husband, he talked about his love for me, his commitment to me and to our children and to our life. He told me how proud he is of me and that I just may very well be his hero. Hero? I can honestly tell you that was one of the most overwhelming things he has ever said to me.What my husband doesn't seem to realize is that HE is the hero of this family. He is the one doing time and being subjected to the most humiliating and demoralizing situations one can imagine. He is the one being treated as less than a human being. But he is also the one rising above all that is thrown at him and he is doing his time his way. In my eyes, he will always be my hero.

To others, my husband may come across as this big Texas bad ass, hard right to the core, but to me he will always be the man that holds my heart in the palm of his hand and you know what? It's never felt safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment