Thursday, August 11, 2011

Don't like your job? You're welcome to find a new one!

Good morning everyone. Well today I was going to tell you all about the mail I received from my husband but then I made the mistake of checking out a post on the prison talk website that so infuriated me, I had to blog about that instead. The discussion revolves around what cells in Texas prisons looks like and posters are venting about the horrible conditions that their husbands, along with thousands of other husbands and wives, are living in. Well it didn't take long for someone to come along and post: "I work at lychner and this is how it is. We have tanks with 4 dorms and each dorms hold 56-58 bunks and the toilets and stuff was the same as u described it. And I don't see how it's inhumane living. Ask me, I'll tell you they got it made compared to other prisons but at the same time I'm not trying to accommodate a person who's a menace against society."

Well kids, this really got under my skin soooo, here is my retort: 

You see it's that mentality right there that chaps my ass. Not every inmate in prison is a menace to society and how dare you paint them all with the same brush! And it is that same jaded and misguided attitude that could potentially hold down all inmates from possible success both inside and outside of prison.

You don't see how it's inhumane living because you don't want to. At the end of the day, you go home to your family, where you can come and go as you please, do what you want when you want, remove yourself, at will, from uncomfortable surroundings so please don't sit in judgement of any inmate least of all ones that you have never nor will ever come in contact with.

It is clear that your view of inmates is distorted, biased and extremely judgemental just like most of the population who do not have loved ones incarcerated. Nearly every person on this site has an immediate family member incarcerated and the last thing that they need is to listen to the ramblings of a bitter individual who clearly hates his/her job and those that he is charged with overseeing. TDCJ's mission statement is to promote positive change in offender behavior. You would do well to remember that. Perhaps reviewing the Correction Officer’s Creed might remind you of your obligations both to yourself and those you guard.

CORRECTION OFFICERS’ CREED

To speak sparingly…to act, not to argue…to be in authority through personal presence…to correct without nagging…to speak with the calm voice of certainty…to see everything, know what is significant and what not to notice…to be neither insensitive to distress nor so distracted by pity as to miss what must elsewhere be seen…To do neither that which is unkind nor self-indulgent in its misplaced charity…never to obey the impulse to tongue lash that silent insolence which in times past could receive the lash…to be both firm and fair…to know I cannot be fair simply be being firm, nor firm simply by being fair… To support the reputations of associates and confront them without anger, should they stand short of professional conduct…to reach for knowledge of the continuing mysteries of human motivation…to think; always to think…to be dependable…to be dependable first to my charges and associates, and thereafter to my duty as employee and citizen…to keep fit…to keep forever alert…to listen to what is meant as well as what is said with words and with silences… To expect respect from my charges and my superiors yet never to abuse the one for abuses from the other...for eight hours each working day to be an example of the person I could be at all times...to acquiesce in no dishonest act...to cultivate patience under boredom and calm during confusion...to understand the why of every order I take or give... To hold freedom among the highest values though I deny it to those I guard…to deny it with dignity that in my example they find no reason to lose their dignity…to be prompt…to be honest with all who practice deceit that they not find in me excuse for themselves…to privately face down my fear that I not signal it…to privately cool my anger that I not displace it on others…to hold in confidence what I see and hear, which by the telling could harm or humiliate to no good purpose…to keep my outside problems outside…to leave inside that which should stay inside…to do my duty. Bob Barrington, Correctional Officers' Creed, The Keepers’ Voice, 19(2), 1998: 8"

I cannot now, nor will I ever, sit idly by and listen to sheer and utter hate and nonsense and say nothing. It's just not in me to do so. My husband has always said that he loves my fiery Irish mouth and the fact that I will always stand up and fight for what I believe in and for what is right. And I will tell you this, this is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment