Sunday, August 14, 2011

Will he or won't he?

Well happy Sunday everyone! Tomorrow will officially be 6 months since my husband has been at TDC. Since that time, I have heard from him once and that was on May 24th at 5:00am for 5 minutes. On the 22nd of this month, I will hopefully receive another 5 minute phone call from him. Fingers crossed that the warden is in a generous mood and will allow the call. I guess you just never know how things are going to go and I certainly have no way of knowing ahead of time if my husband's I-60 will even be approved. The last time he was allowed to call, he didn't know ahead of time either. He was called to the G-line at 4:30am and told by the Sergeant that his I-60 request to make a collect call had been approved. He was asked, at that time, whether he wanted to wait until later in the day to call me but he wasn't sure that I would be home so he asked if he could call right then and there so my phone call came in at 5:00am. I had had a feeling all night that maybe he would call so I was walking around the house wearing the phone like a necklace. When I went to bed, I put the phone by my bed and when it rang long distance so early in the morning, I knew it was him. I quickly answered and heard in that slow southern drawl of his "hey baby." I can't tell you how good it was to hear his voice. I can still here it now. After crying for the first few seconds, I got myself together. He said "baby we only have 5 minutes so we have to make em count." I asked him how he was and how his neck was and he said fine. He asked how the kids and I were and I said "we are fine but we miss you" and he said he missed us as well. I can't tell you what else we talked about because I was trying so hard to memorize his voice that I didn't really pay attention to the words just the sound of his voice. After what seemed like only a minute, he said "well baby, we only have a minute left so if there is anything you want to tell me, you need to do it now." I started crying a bit because I had no idea when I might hear from him again. I told him that I loved him and he laughed a little and said "I love you too" and "are you alright?" I said I was fine and he said "Well, I love ya and I'll call ya again in 3 months" and those were the last words my husband said to me. So, now I sit here waiting and hoping that the warden will let him call me again because we deserve at least that. My husband, just like so many other husbands and wives in TDC, deserves to hear his wife tell him that she loves him. So, for those that are of the view that prison isn't supposed to be fun and it is supposed to be hard, and inmates get what they deserve, ask yourself this - if it were your husband or your wife, would your opinion change? I'd be willing to bet it would...in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment